Thursday, September 30, 2010

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one"

As much as I love the organization I intern for, I don't exactly love the type of work I've been doing. Following a total break down on Tuesday, I had a major epiphany which could very well be the beginning of my pursuit for real happiness and self-actualization.
If you're a regular reader of my blog, you can probably sense that I sometimes could be a bit of a "bleeding-heart". It is because of my overwhelming sense of naive compassion in certain issues, I am constantly plagued by the guilt of "not doing enough to make the world a better place". Thus, it wasn't until a couple of days ago that I realized what I truly wanted to do and how I can alleviate the weight of the world on my shoulders. I decided that in order to achieve true meaning in my life I want to have a direct and benevolent influence in the lives of those less fortunate. Whether it's helping out the victims of assaults, protecting the rights and freedom of "social outcasts" or even spreading awareness about cases of social injustices. As soon as I realized what I wanted to dedicate my life doing, I felt, for the first time in my life, uplifted and hopeful about the things I thought I couldn't change. I know that this again sounds like an idealistic notion and that I really can't make any substantial contributions in dissolving all of the world's issues and injustices. However, I am going about this a logical way via educational training and gaining experiences. Thus I've decided to first start with a focused career path in the fields of either counseling, law or journalism. Wish me luck in my decision, everyone.

I'm wearing my new shoes (thank you, Isabel) to celebrate my new found future plan.

Another first (first sweater outfit) to commemorate the occasion.

7 comments:

Ella said...

i have been stuck on what i want to be "when i grow up" for so long!
i think im finally figuring in out for myself too:)
best of luck to you
and your outfits are lovely lovely xx

Isabel said...

Yay, so they fit alright??

Glad you've found out what you are truly passionate about! I'm in an environmental law class right now, which I thought would be totally interesting but is actually incredibly boring. I hope law sparks your interest more than it does mine!

Michele said...

I love the first outfit! Very 50's rock and roll!

Lexy @ QUIRKY EXPLOSION said...

Ah, this post is so fantastic. I love when people write about the things they love; I think it's so inspiring.

All the best in your future endeavors! (Haha, I sound like I'm writing a yearbook message, or something.) I think that we're so lucky to have what we have and I think it's great that you're on a journey to save the world! :)


QUIRKYEXPLOSION.blogspot.com

CDG said...

I am definitely wishing you luck in everything! So refreshing to see somebody doing something in their life and attempting to make a difference in the world. And, you do it all with style! ha
p.s. just listened to your bands first recording (I know, I'm way late) and love it! Can't wait to hear more. I have never heard a good liger song and that is a shame haha.

Emily and Abigail said...

lusting the big sweater!!

www.lovelywanderlust.com

Unknown said...

loove it !!
please follow, xoxo